Papers / HowTo
Sometimes you just need a tiny hint to solve your problem. Here the
things we found out - in most cases the hard way...
- Port forwarding to systems behind un-forwardable routers/gateways
- ...from behind DS-Lite, enabling availability for IPv4-services on IPv6-only networks, from behind stubborn provider routers, or the like.
- IPv6 tunnel calculators
- Calculating between IPv4 and their 6to4 IPv6 addresses made easy.
- Firewall-Types: stateful? inspection? proxy?
- Here you'll get a brief overview over the different types of
- HowTo send CheckPoint FW1 logs to syslog
- Checkpoint's Firewall-1
does not offer sending its logs to a standard syslog by default.
Here is a way around it.
- HashID - Identify Hash Types
- HowTo mirror a partition or complete PC via network - binary 1:1 copy
- Imagine you get the task to quickly set up a number of identical
workstations regardless installed OS(es) or filesystems.
Here's how to do with on-board tools.
- HowTo duplicate a Linux-PC or Patition via network - fast
- Imagine you get the task to quickly set up a number of
hardware-wise identical workstations. Unfortunately time is running
out, the PCs have different hard disks or filesystem types, or you
want to keep the other individual partitions or have differing
partition sizes on your target PC. Here's how to do with on-board
Hosting / Mail Protection
- HowTo run Greylisting (on Debian/GenToo) step-by-step
- Greylisting (http://www.greylisting.org/)
is a (relatively) new, resource-preserving measure against SPAM and
virus mails, raising the barrier quite a bit and reducing the
unwanted data traffic by a few orders of magnitude.
This is a step-by-step guide.
- Kaputte Mailprovider
- (German language only)
Kommen meine Mails nicht auf der Mailingliste an - oder nicht bei allen?
Das könnte an einem kaputten Mailprovider liegen...
- Boot from USB3
- You finally have acquired a shiny new USB3 stick - and Linux is mulishly refusing to boot from it?
Da hat man nun einen neuen, schnellen USB3-Stick - und das Linux will davon nicht booten. Erst wenn man den in einen USB2-Port steckt funktioniert's.
- Doppelte Buchführung / Double Ledger Accounting - American Journal
- An "American Journal" implements double ledger accounting in one
single sheet/book, where each column represets one account.
Here I created a practical version which includes a balance sheet
(Bilanz & Einnahmen-Ausgaben-Überschussrechnung).
While it is implemented as OpenOffice/LibreOffice spreadsheet it
does not contain any macros or programming, just plain formulas
and thus should be simple to convert to nearly any spreadsheet.
While it currently is geared towards German requirements
it should be adaptable to any need.
- Dan Wells' 7 Punkte Plotting Methode
- Autor Dan Wells präsentierte
eine Plotting-Methode für Stories. Hier ein kleines Spreadsheet zum Plotten...
- A good tea needs 3 minutes to bew. Thus this simple timer.
Ein guter Tee braucht 3 Minuten zum Ziehen. Daher dieser simple Timer.
- Product History
- Sometimes products just seem to be somehow strangely familiar.
Maybe it is because you worked with its predecessor under a different
name or brand. Or it is based upon some well known software.
Thus here a list of products and its predecessors.
- HowTo check the serial number on a EURO note
- Here's how to check the serial number on an EURO bank note,
(Check der Seriennummer für Euro-Banknoten)
- You don't always need CGI or Apache-Modules (e.g. PHP) to
evaluate forms and generate a new page. This is a generic
- Joke-RfCs and -HowTos
- While a "normal" RfC (Request for Comments) usually defines
internet standards and protocols, there are a number of RfCs
and HowTos published on 1st of April - or for a similar purpose.
Read and have fun...
Archived Docs (no longer of much use)
- HowTo run ClamAV Anti Virus on a low memory system
- This recipe lost its edge when startup times slowed down too much.